If the tofu based chocolate mousse doesn’t do it for you, try this avocado based version. Most people seem to credit Laura Coxeter as the inspiration for this recipe and I would certainly agree. I first saw her when she appeared on River Cottage a few years ago and made a raw chocolate ganache tart. This is just a simplified version.
- 2 large ripe avocados
- Coconut oil – 50g
- Cacao (or cocoa) powder – 70g
- Maple syrup (or honey) – 2 tablespoons
- Pecans (or almonds or walnuts or just use a mixture!) – 1/2 cup
- Dates – 1/2 cup
- If you’re making the biscuity base, place the nuts and dates in a blender and blend until finely chopped
- Scrape out the mixture and put aside
- Gently heat the coconut oil in a pan so it melts. Allow to cool.
- Now place the avocados, coconut oil, maple syrup and cocoa powder in the blender
- Blend until smooth. This may take a few minutes.
- Place a large spoonful of the base mixture at the bottom of a glass (or bowl) and press it down firmly
- Add a few spoonfuls of the mousse mixture on top
- If you wish, you can add a third layer of berry compote – just heat a few handfuls of frozen berries in a pan until soft and mushy
- Repeat steps 6-8 for the remaining 3 portions
- Place the 4 glasses in the fridge for an hour or two and then serve